On Mon, Jan 7, 2019, 7:31 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 06:24:14PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > * The Fedora community cares about privacy and is adverse to tracking
> > > measures. We don't want to track; just count.
> > Uh, so what's the story there? i mean, if you pass over the uuid you
> > make clients trackable, regardless if you want to make use of that or
> > not...
>
> Not if we don't keep them for long. One idea is to rotate them fairly
> frequently. But this is mostly a statement of intent and might be more
> about
> how we build the backend than about what we force in the client.

You could move the rotation to the client by hashing the UUID with a
timestamp of sufficiently coarse granularity (a week?) before submitting it.

Then you make sure that all UUIDs submitted by a given machine during a
given time window are the same, but UUIDs submitted in different windows
are not related, and you don't have to trust the server to respect your
privacy.

Cheers,

Tom