On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 12:32, John Harris <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 7, 2019 11:34:47 AM EST Ben Cotton wrote:
> > The Fedora community cares about privacy and is adverse to tracking
> > measures. We don't want to track; just count.
>
> If this is ever implemented, we should probably notify end users and provide
> an easy way to disable this. If you pass an identifier, that enables client
> tracking.

The original proposla was looking at something to what yum has had
built into it for a while. Every yum installation has a file
/var/lib/yum/uuid which contains whatever was pulled from
/proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid when yum was installed.  Here is one
example 34cb9496-a62c-496e-8935-22f550247262

The change for yum (EPEL) systems would then have been:
metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-source-7&arch=$basearch

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-source-7&arch=$basearch&uuid=$uuid

And if dnf had a similar file it would be

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-30&arch=$basearch&uuid=$uuid

This would then be seen by the proxies and could be used to clear up
various proxy numbers. For a user who does not want this, they could
either zero out /var/lib/yum/uuid, /etc/yum/vars/uuid or remove the
uuid= from the yum.repos.d files. [I expect that the final
implementation will be something like this also.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.