On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 04:04:24PM -0500, John Harris wrote:
> On Monday, January 7, 2019 3:18:10 PM EST Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > hence my recommendation to derive the any uuid for purposes like this
> > from /etc/machine-id, by using a HMAC of some kind (see other mail).
>
> I really don't think that this should be derived in any way from a machine
> id,
> if it really is meant to be used for counting users, rather than tracking.

Please read the man page [1]. The machine id cannot be derived from
this number. On the other hand, using a derived UUID for this makes it
easier to wipe identifying information from an image, because there is
still just the one /etc/machine-id file that needs to be wiped.

[1]
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/sd_id128_get_machine_app_specific.html

Zbyszek