On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:34:47AM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Summary ==
> Right now, we estimate installed Fedora systems by counting unique IP
> addresses which show up in our updates mirror statistics. We need
> better data than that. There are some proposals for more complicated
> systems, but a quick thing we can do is implement a per-system UUID
> (unique identifier) and count that instead of IP addresses.

FWIW, I think that doing this is great idea. We can really use more
reliable information about the number of installations.

As Lennart wrote, using either sd_id128_get_machine_app_specific(3)
or `systemd-id128 new --app-specific=...` (new in F30) or an independent
reimplementation seems to right way to implement this.

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> Older versions will not have the UUID counting enabled; we will keep
> collecting stats in the traditional way for those systems.

If the sd_id128_get_machine_app_specific/... mechanism is used, this
could be added to previous releases in a dnf update. This is an additional
advantage over having a indepdent uuid for this.

Zbyszek