On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 02:27:39PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Is this data only going to be sent to the metalink or do the mirrors
> actually used, get the data?

That's a good question.

> Is the data going to be sent along with requests to non-Fedora repos
> (e.g. rpmfusion)?

Also a good question. The intent in any case is to share aggregate
information (in a way we don't currently), so third parties will benefit
from that even if they don't have their own counting.

> This will make it much easier to spoof being lots of systems. Is
> there some plan to mitigate this risk?

I guess I'm not super worried about that. We could probably add some
server-side heuristics to detect suspicious activity.

> Is this going to turn on automatically for rawhide users?

I propose that it will at some point, yes. Perhaps a devel-announce post is
appropriate.

> Is this going to happen on install or upgrade before there is a
> chance to turn it off?

Maybe? Keep in mind that you are _already_ contacting the mirror systems
when installing or upgrading. Sending a random number once (or a few times,
even) does not seem particularly invasive.

For what it's worth, with Ubuntu's new opt-out info collection, they send a
pingback _when someone opts out_, so that they can get a sense of % of
people who make that choice. I'm not proposing that here, but... I think we
can be privacy sensitive without needing to over-design beyond reasonable
expectations. Again, especially given that software installed by default on
most Fedora installations does not have any strong restrictions.

> Are the UUIDs going to be sanity checked so that NSFW UUIDs don't
> show up in reports?

You mean if someone sends a fake UUID rather than a genuine one? I don't
expect we'll actually present the UUIDs directly in reports. It does seem
reasonable to check that UUIDs actually match the expected format, which
should cut out most of that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>