On Mo, 07.01.19 22:54, Tom Gundersen (t...@jklm.no) wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019, 7:31 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:

> > > Uh, so what's the story there? i mean, if you pass over the uuid you
> > > make clients trackable, regardless if you want to make use of that or
> > > not...
> >
> > Not if we don't keep them for long. One idea is to rotate them fairly
> > frequently. But this is mostly a statement of intent and might be more
> > about
> > how we build the backend than about what we force in the client.
>
> You could move the rotation to the client by hashing the UUID with a
> timestamp of sufficiently coarse granularity (a week?) before submitting it.
>
> Then you make sure that all UUIDs submitted by a given machine during a
> given time window are the same, but UUIDs submitted in different windows
> are not related, and you don't have to trust the server to respect your
> privacy.

Yes, Tom's proposal makes sense. Calculate the UUID you submit as

  HMAC(machined_id, CONCAT(fixedappuuid, unixtime/432000))

where:

  machine_id = the id from /etc/machine-id
  fixedappuuid = some fixed compiled-in uuid you make up for dnf
  unixtime = UNIX time, seconds since 1970

(432000 is the seconds in 5 days, just as an example)

This way the uuid submitted is changed automatically both when the
machine ID is reset and every 5 days.

Of course, I still think the NTP (or http ping check) approach is
nicer overall, since it doesn't smell so awfully like "we track users".

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat