On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Aleksandra Fedorova <al...@bookwar.info> wrote:

> I propose to change the scope of the SIG a bit.
>
> Maintaining packages could be one of the activities of the SIG, but its
> primary purpose should be to deal with this topic in general.
>
> Watch for orphans, develop orphaning and retirement workflows, develop a
> strategy how to manage those cases, how to prevent them, suggest guidelines
> on how to decide whether or not one should move package to the module -
> topics like that.
>
> It extends the scope, but it also opens some possibilities for us to work on
> the root cause.
>
> What do you think?

I agree 100% here.

Since my intention was to improve the situation around orphaned
packages, this is exactly what I was thinking about:

- provide (temporary) maintenance of important, orphaned packages
- monitor orphaned packages, spot issues early, actively look for new
maintainers
- probably report the current status regularly
- discuss and refine the current orphaning / retirement process

Fabio