Le vendredi 12 avril 2019 à 13:16 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Ty Young wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm thinking of switching to Fedora 30 Silverblue(once it comes out
> > of
> > beta anyway) from Arch linux. One of the requirements is to be able
> > install, compile from source and easily switch between JDK builds.
>
> Bigger picture, as another person commented the overall design push
> of Silverblue (and FCOS) is to use containers

Well everyone’s design push nowadays is to use containers. The problem
is not choosing to use containers, the problem is to manage all the
container interfaces and overlays, so they actually give the expected
benefits.

Java alternatives are a perfect example, how a much simpler tech like
symlinks, can grow into a complex monster, once you've added up all the
desired policy constrains. Simple direct setups are easy. Declining
them to the level of complexity of modern IT without losing ground is
hard.

--
Nicolas Mailhot