> On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 10:22 AM Steven A. Falco <stevenfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just upgraded my machine from F29 to F30.  Now, whenever I install a new
>> kernel, the new kernel does not automatically become the default.  In other
>> words, when I reboot, the previous kernel is still chosen by grub2.
>>
>> I can manually choose the new kernel in the grub2 menu, at which point it
>> _does_ become the new default.  I don't wind up at the "grub>" prompt, so I
>> think grub2 itself is fine.  It is just that the grubenv is not updated when
>> the new kernel is installed.
>>
>> The machine has UEFI, but the system boots using the legacy BIOS
>> compatibility layer.  I know that the boot mechanism changed a bit for F30,
>> but I'm not sure where to look to identify the cause of this problem.  It
>> doesn't seem to be the same issue as described in BZ 1652806.
>>
>>         Steve
>
> It can be tricky for the grubby scripts to deduce which kernel was
> *really* the last one, especially if you've been hand-editing kernel
> entries or adding them manually, well, there might be debris.
>
> /boog/grub/ has gotten *fascinating* Perhaps you can back up the
> system, and then delete *all* the extraneous kernels, to reset any
> confused default tracking mechanism in place?.

"Fascinating" is a good word for it.  I tried reading through the various
scripts.  They are a twisty little maze of passages.  :-)

The problem has suddenly gone away.  I just installed kernel 5.0.11, and this
time it correctly became the default.  I'm not sure what fixed my issue, but I
can think of two possibilities.

1) Prior to installing 5.0.11, I did run the grub2-install command, as
mentioned in the Common_F30_bugs wiki page.  Perhaps that helped, even though
my symptoms were very different.

2) Also, installing 5.0.11 obsoleted the last of the F29 kernels on my machine.
 Now there are only F30 kernels in /boot.

I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I'm good.

        Steve