On 5/6/19 4:47 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> # grub2-editenv list
>>
>> Here is the command output:
>>
>> saved_entry=2aa6409d5c354eea9cc2e4630c4efda0-5.0.11-300.fc30.x86_64
>> boot_success=1
>> boot_indeterminate=1
>> kernelopts=root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro resume=/dev/mapper/fedora-swap
>> rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.md.uuid=77ae1678:58a79067:c0ad29e6:bd1862f8
>> rd.md.uuid=bac1fa34:2d7a26e5:969d63ac:33ff4572 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap
>
> Looks normal.
>
> Also, about the /boot/grub2/grubenv symlink to
> /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv - I'm only seeing this on clean installs
> from Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso so it might be related
> to how the lives are assembled and rsync'd over. It doesn't happen
> with a minimal or server installation on a BIOS VM.

The install originated as a "server edition", so that is consistent.

> At the moment, I think whatever problem there was has been cleared and
> it's now behaving normally.

Agreed.

>> I'm reading through the various scripts trying to understand the impact of
>> GRUB_DEFAULT.  It seems like having GRUB_DEFAULT=saved is not currently
>> hurting me.  The last upgrade, to 5.0.11-300, properly made that kernel the
>> new default.
>>
>> If GRUB_DEFAULT is commented out, then I think grub will always choose the
>> first item in its menu, which would be fine, because the newest kernel
>> always appears first in the grub menu.  Is that why you recommended
>> commenting it out?
>
> Nope, sorry, you're confused. I referred to GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT -
> thinking maybe you had a customized /etc/default/grub. GRUB_DEFAULT
> and GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT are two different things, but the latter depends
> on the former.

It wouldn't be the first time I was confused. :-)

> I suggest keeping things as is, with saved_entry set in the grubenv.
> And that's because GRUB and the grub-boot-success.service are able to
> do an automatic fallback to the previous working kernel if boot fails
> following a kernel upgrade.

I will leave it alone, as you recommend.

As I was reading through the documentation, I came across a statement that
grubenv is unavailable on RAID - please see the second to last sentence here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Environment-block.html

My machine is set up with /boot on SW RAID-1 (and everything else on SW RAID-5
/ LVM).  That said, grubenv appears to update properly.  I don't know if the
manual is not quite current, or if there is some other explanation - perhaps
any updates always occur under Linux, while the RAID-1 is assembled.

Regardless, everything is good now, so I'll stop obsessing about it. :-)

And thanks for all your help!

        Steve