On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:31 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Le 2019-07-23 07:02, drago01 a écrit :
>
> > Please just take back this change and come back at April first if it
> > was supposed to be a joke - if not then submit again in about 10
> > years.
>
> Fedora used to have the x86 repo for old hardware, and the x86_64 repo
> for new hardware. Now that the tech cursor moved enough x86 kernels are
> being retired, there would be nothing wrong in moving this functional
> split at another technical level.

The problem with that is getting someone to do the work. The whole
reason that the i686 kernel was retired was due to people not stepping
up to do the maintenance of the kernel, and the kernel alone. Having
been one of the few people in the community that's been involved in
and lead arch bring ups and maintained architectures in the bad old
days of secondary koji instances and continue to lead the ARMv7 and
aarch64 architectures I can tell you it's not an insignificant amount
of work, both the initial boot strap and ongoing maintenance. I've
been involved in the alternate architecture projects in Fedora for ~
9.5 years and it's a LOT of work and it's not a do it once and it's
done, it's constant and ongoing.

There needs to be a group of people prepared to put in that level of
effort and from my own personal experience with the various Arm
architectures over the years (armv5, armv7 and aarch64) and the out
come of the i686 project I can tell you there's a lot of people that
demand that there must be something because they need it and just
about no-one who's prepared to actually do the damn well work. People
will quite happily demand you work 24*7 without sleep, complain when
their pet feature doesn't work, or when it fails to boot on their £4
ten year old SD card and insist that it must be fixed yesterday all
while contributing exactly nothing!

Peter