Le 2019-07-23 12:48, Peter Robinson a écrit :
On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:31 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Le 2019-07-23 07:02, drago01 a écrit :

> Please just take back this change and come back at April first if it
> was supposed to be a joke - if not then submit again in about 10
> years.

Fedora used to have the x86 repo for old hardware, and the x86_64 repo
for new hardware. Now that the tech cursor moved enough x86 kernels are
being retired, there would be nothing wrong in moving this functional
split at another technical level.

The problem with that is getting someone to do the work. The whole
reason that the i686 kernel was retired was due to people not stepping
up to do the maintenance of the kernel, and the kernel alone.

I’m assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the people proposing the change would be ready to maintain the new hardware arch, and shake out the bugs associated with the new compiler flags. Because the bulk of us seem stuck with older hardware for now.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot