On 08/23/2010 09:33 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> said:
>> Well, we took the liberty to interpret noauto a little bit differently
>> than you: everything marked "auto" will be mounted at boot, and boot
>> will not proceed until all devices listed as auto appeared and are fully
>> mounted (or things timed out). File systems marked as "noauto" won't
>> delay the boot process if they aren't, but they'll still be mounted when
>> they are plugged in, regardless whether that is at boot or during
>> runtime.
> Please take the liberty to implement "noauto" as documented.  See "man
> mount":
>
>        noauto Can only be mounted explicitly (i.e., the  -a  option  will  not
>               cause the filesystem to be mounted).

I agree with this.  We cannot take options that mean something for a
very long time and change it to mean something completely different.  If
you don't recognize the option at all, it is one thing (although that
needs very good reasons for doing that) but changing semantics is just
plain wrong.  If that new behaviour is useful, make it as extra options.

Rahul