On 7/22/19 9:51 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:

After preliminary discussions with CPU vendors, we propose AVX2 as the
new baseline.  AVX2 support was introduced into CPUs from 2013 to
2015. See
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#CPUs_with_AVX2
CPUs with AVX2].

This proposal seems mostly like an experiment in disguise to find out whether the Fedora developers can agree on *something*, and quite clearly the answer is yes, at least this once we can all agree to disagree with the proposed change.

For the record, none of the ~10 computers at my house, including my current work laptop, support AVX2. Such a change would force me to move the entire family away from Fedora, and would be "interesting" to try develop rpm on, say, Debian. Would make for some catchy headlines though ;)

        - Panu -