The fact whether we're in the OS or not, whether it's a bootloader or a
pre-init script or whatever is irrelevant from the end-user perspective. The
end-user sees that the system will wait the password endlessly and I agree with
Joseph that it's not good behaviour.

>Do you have OLED monitor? Generic LCD/LED monitors does not suffer from this
>issue. I never shut down my monitor for years and it works fine.
The monitor damage is not the issue here; it's just a possible side effect of
the issue. As Chris mentioned earlier - consider a battery-powered system,
which will just wait for the password until the battery discharges completely.
This behaviour simply isn't sensible, in my opinion, and - forgive the phrase -
smells of "works for us, so why bother?" thinking.