On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 09:34:57AM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> 1. Such unpredicted shutdown can damage headers of LUKS-encrypted volumes.

We're not talking about taking the system out behind the toolshead here.

Is LUKS really so brittle that 'shutdown -h now' is insufficient?

> 2. If it will be implemented, it must be an opt-in feature.

I'll agree that this behavior arguably doesn't make sense for servers as
they're typically unattended with limited physical access, and reboots
are usually rare.

Workstations, on the other hand -- if there's nobody to enter the
password on the coneole, what's the point of leaving it spun up, wasting
power indefinitely?

Meanwhile, for laptops, the only sane default to have is to
shut down after some "small X" amount of time.

(What constitutes a laptop?  Something with a battery.  Laptop that's
 plugged in?  treat it as a workstation.)

(And yes, I know that the only practical difference between a
"workstation" and a "server" is the software that's installed/enabled)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^