On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 7:04 PM John Harris <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:

> > > This is definitely not the ideal scenario, especially not from the case of
> > > the  installer for the GNOME spin. I don't know if there's really any
> > > reason to consider it, as the user is taking things into their own hands
> > > at that point.
> >
> > Let us not try to outsmart what people *must have wanted*, and err on the
> > side of not leaving their neckties hanging out the window for yanking by
> > passing pranksters.  Leave firewalls up by default.
>
> I don't think you understand what I meant. Please allow me to clarify. The
> suggestion was that we should set the default in such a way that would work
> regardless of what the user installs after the installation of Workstation
> itself. We have no way of doing that. We cannot just guess what the user means
> to install while we're in Anaconda. Unfortunately, mind reading hardware isn't
> there yet.
>
> I would agree, leave firewalls up by default.

If 30 years in DevOps and system security in both large and small
networks count for anything, this makes *complete* sense. The
distinction between a "Workstation" deployment and a "Server" or
"Everything" deployment should not include leaving the Workstation
completely vulnerable to the most casual script kiddie attacks after
they install *any* services, especially including MySQL, DNS, Samba,
or Tomcat, Jenkins, or anything else.