On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM Emery Berger <emery.ber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, my research group attacked basically exactly this
> problem some time ago. We built a modified Linux kernel that we called
> Redline that was utterly resilient to fork bombs, malloc bombs, and so on. No
> process could take down the system, much less unprivileged ones. I think some
> of the ideas we described back then would be worth adopting / adapting today
> (the code is of course hopelessly out of date: we published our paper on this
> at OSDI 2008).

I'm unable to find a concurring or dissenting opinions on this.  What
kind of peer review has it received? Was it ever raised with upstream
kernel developers? What were there responses?

I wonder if the question of interactivity is just not a priority
upstream still, as they see various competing user space solutions for
this problem and that this suggests a generic solution is either not
practical to incorporate into the kernel, or maybe it isn't desired?

--
Chris Murphy