On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 19:34, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 05:31:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > ○ Every changes to dist-git is done via pull-requests
> > Erm, no thank you.  Pull requests are a terrible workflow.
>
> It's definitely the winning workflow in the open source world today,
> particularly for smaller and drive-by contributions, which I think we'd
> like to encourage. And there _are_ real tracking and review benefits to
> having everything go through that workflow.
>

> Do you have an alternative proposal?

Continuous Integration can be done without PRs (this is not easy in the
open source world because you cannot grant commit access to every
contributors, this is not a problem for us since only the package
maintainers have commit access), in fact eXtrem Programming [0] is all
about pushing as often and as fast as possible to the main branch in order
to get early feedback. Instead of running the tests against a PR it is
possible to run the tests against the commits in the main development
branch. I believe that in our case knowing if a particular commit broke the
branch is as valuable as knowing if the tests failed against a PR.

[0] - http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/integrateoften.html