On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, at 3:18 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 2:45 PM Colin Walters <walt...@verbum.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> >
> > > As others in the thread have pointed out, mandatory pull requests just
> > > make no sense for most single-maintainer projects, which most packages
> > > probably are.
> >
> > Well, a lot of this relates to what the *merge policy* is.  If a PR
> > submitter can merge their own PRs, and there's a mechanism to do "merge
> > when tests pass" (this is an important aspect), then submitting a PR can be
> > just about as equally ergonomic as `git push`.
> > In OpenShift we use Prow, which has the latter; I really like it.  However
> > we also *require* peer review (submitters can't merge their own PRs).
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't scale for the large number of packages we
> have. Pull requests would work if we had mergify[1] working on
> Dist-Git, otherwise I can't see how it'd work.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/Mergifyio/mergify-engine

Yes, I mentioned Prow which does something similar.
https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/tree/master/prow
Which as I noted we use today in OpenShift and are moving to use in the CoreOS
group as well.

> I'm surprised you didn't realize these issues. You've examined Git
> very deeply and you should be more than aware of how bad of idea it
> would be to use a monorepo for package sources. We don't have separate
> Git repos per package for no reason...

https://github.com/projectatomic/rpmdistro-gitoverlay/blob/master/doc/reworking-fedora-releng.md#unified-source-and-pr-driven-workflow
links to a number which do it today.  You're right that there are tradeoffs; I
think the best is probably something closer to what OpenEmbedded is doing with
"layered" repos, not one gigantic dist-git repo.

It certainly seems to me the current Fedora setup is basically just inertia
from the first dist-cvs -> dist-git conversion; no one really in the
intervening time has had the power/will to change the underlying layers, just
add new layers on top.