On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 8:09 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:53 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > That was a representative example. I came up with it at 11pm after a
> > > long day. Don't read too much into the specifics. The point was that
> > > builds may require newer or older software than we have available in
> > > the non-modular buildroot, but don't require them at runtime.
> >
> > Yes, they do. There are many ways to solve the problem, from compat packages
> > trough various tag-magic to buildroot overrides in custom side tags. We
> > have had
> > this problem for years and we were able to deal with it quite well.
> >

> Please let's not confuse "we have figured out how to work around it by
> making our packagers do a lot of tricky hacks" with "able to deal with
> it quite well". This is a major issue for non-expert packagers. I
> don't have statistics on how many people give up on a package because
> of this issue, but I know *I* have done so (and I'd consider myself
> more experienced than most people at packaging).
>
> One of the (often un- or misinformed) major arguments people keep
> using against Modularity is "it makes packaging harder!". This is one
> place where it makes things *much* easier on the packagers. It's a
> clear reduction in complexity.

As someone who's published over 500 RPMs to various commercial and
free software environments, it's a complete waste of my time, it's
breaking my build my build environments and wasting time I'd rather
spend on building or updating individual components without confusion
about maintaining multiple dependency trees.