On 19/12/19 01:00, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 01:00:03PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Just FTR, for Red Hat Software Collections, we are (ab)using "Version"
>> BZ field to track the SCL version (e.g. [1]), which in module
>> terminology resembles stream. Maybe we could reuse something similar for
>> modules in Fedora.
>
> I think Fedora would have to do something like that to indicate module
> ownership in a bug.  The Version field requires BZ maintenance for that
> list
> which could mean that each module version would need a new entry in that
> list.  At least that's how I understand that BZ field the last time I
> looked
> at it.
>
> We could come up with syntax and place it in one of the Whiteboard fields.
> Something like module=eclipse;ver=X.Y.Z
>
> That would probably get ugly real fast.

The version field is for the version of the product the bug is in, it
shouldn't be abused for things that aren't that.

A couple of alternative approaches:

1: A new custom field with the modules/streams in it. User opens bug
against component, maintainer sets the CF if required.

Pros: Easy to use. Could be a multi-select if it affects multiple streams.

Cons: Might not scale to a large number of module streams. Doesn't allow
automated change of assignee/etc. Not easy to limit CF values to
specific components.

2: Use sub-components for the modules/streams. User opens a bug against
the component and the maintainer can move the bug to a module sub
component if required.

Pros: easy to use, automated assignee/qe/etc, easy to limit modules and
streams to specific components. Unlikely to require significant change
to current workflows or tools.

Cons: Setting up the sub-components, this could probably be automated on
the Fedora Infra side. Not multi-select so you'd need to clone bugs if
you wanted to track progress for multiple-streams.

Cheers, Jeff.