On Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:59:54 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 8:40 PM Stuart D. Gathman <stu...@gathman.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >

> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EnableFSTrimTimer
> > >

> > > == Summary ==
> > > Enabling fstrim.timer will cause fstrim.service to execute weekly,
> > > which in turn executes `/usr/sbin/fstrim --fstab --verbose --quiet`
> >

> > > == How To Test ==
> > > The low level function of systemd timers, fstrim.service, and fstrim
> > > command are well understood and tested already, all Fedora needs to
> > > test is that the timer is enabled following clean installation and
> > > upgrades:
> >

> > After the initial change of defaults, the fstrim.timer SHOULD NOT be
> > re-enabled on subsequent updates if a user (who like me prefers choosing
> > when to run fstrim on which filesystem) has disabled it.
>

> It's an interesting question. I'm not sure what the upgrade policy is
> for vendor presets. Because there's a general expectation of getting
> new features upon upgrade, without having to do a clean install, I
> think this one should be enabled on upgrades. But I'm not sure how to
> make sure F32>F33 upgrade does not reenable if the user has disabled
> it; but still enable it with F31>F33 since Fedora supports upgrades
> that skip one release. So yeah, I need to figure that out.
>
> As for customizations to fstrim.timer, the original from /usr should
> be copied and put into /etc, and customized. That shouldn't be
> replaced on an upgrade. The fstrim.timer in /usr of course could be
> replaced, like anything else. Same for fstrim.service in case you want
> to trim all mounted file systems instead of just fstab.

Well, this isn't a "new feature", and I'm not sure it's a good idea to just
enable this randomly during the update from F31 to F32. Personally, I wouldn't
do it, because it's not something the user's preferences for can actually be
accounted for. For example, I don't use trim for a number of reasons, and I
wouldn't want to find that it was enabled on me at some point.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity