2010/8/28 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johan...@gmail.com>:
> On 08/27/2010 10:47 PM, Bob Arendt wrote:
>
> Actually I think Fedora *should* articulate who the users are, basically
> design and express who and what Fedora is designed for.  If you poll
> "users" - people who download Fedora - and cater to their stated desires
> for the sake of market share, then market forces will start to drive the
> shape of the distro.  Populist market forces would tend to force everything
> to a gray mushy mass of similar distros.
> (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law).
>
> I think it would be much better for Fedora to decide what it *should* be,
> specifically what the Fedora userspace should be, and excel at that.
> Don't follow the "market" or worry about being the most popular distro
> (unless that's really a goal ..?)  Decide the niche, and be strong in
> that niche.

Well first of all you are going to need to reset your view of what
Fedora is. For the most part Fedora is a community built around the
Fedora Operating System which is 90+% sponsored and paid for by Red
Hat Inc. All Fedora trademarks are owned by Red Hat Inc, and many
costly services are provided free to the community by Red Hat.

Those legal facts are not going to change in the short term, nor will
lots of emails or long rants help move it any faster. I also am not
going to advocate "shutting up and taking it" as someone thought I was
before. I advocate constructive engagement and if that doesn't work
finding some place where you are happier even if it means making
something new to do that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.