I am chiming in with a slightly long form of +1 because of the lack of
comments.

I think this is HUGE.  To be able to connect to new use cases and ideas and
have the bonus of helping a downstream stay more closely connected feels
like a big win!

regards,

bex

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:54 AM Brendan Conoboy <b...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Many of us deeply involved in RHEL's production are excited about this
> idea.  We are looking for ways to do more of the RHEL 9 creation
> activities in public and this could help serve that purpose.
> Something along these lines would be fantastic because identical
> Fedora sources could be used to produce differentiated builds, where
> only inherited rpm macros would differ.  Perhaps even better is that
> it looks like it would give Fedora the ability to do more to serve its
> own mission, by allowing customization without forking sources.
> Fedora would be able to grow beyond the traditional
> one-set-of-defaults-must-fit-all model.
>

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 8:45 AM Aleksandra Fedorova
> <afedor...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > This topic goes along the lines of Matthew’s Operating System Factory
> > discussion[1], but with a slightly different angle. It also is the
> > generalization of the Change we have proposed recently [2]
> >
> > So let me start with the problem:
> >
> > In Fedora now we have a well known and established process of how to
> > deal with updates that bring new content through packages. There are
> > ways to package new content side by side with the old one, to perform
> > a non-disruptive testing, iterate and upgrade.
> >
> > What I think is missing is the way to safely iterate on the process,
> > which happens after the content is packaged. Examples are: changes to
> > buildroot configuration as in [2], changes in comps files, for example
> > required for Minimization Objective [3], changes in compose building
> > process, changes in Mass Rebuild and so on.
> >
> > For such changes we have to use an all-or-nothing approach, which
> > means we either implement the change too early or postpone it for too
> > long.
> >
> > To add flexibility to the Fedora process, I’d like to propose the
> > concept of alternative buildroots.
> >
> > ------
> > Note: The naming is hard here, and while I tend to call it
> > “buildroot”, it actually needs to be called “alternative everything,
> > except the srpms”.
> >
> > I think we shouldn’t use the word “variant”, “spin”, “flavour” or
> > something like that to describe it, as it is strictly the shared
> > development playground linked to the latest Fedora Rawhide state and
> > focused on the build and compose process. It is definitely not the
> > alternative Fedora. It shouldn’t have releases on its own, it has no
> > branches in the source code and it doesn’t target end-users.
> > ------
> >
> > The good thing is that, with the distributed CI approach we have
> > implemented, we are ready to consume the feedback from such
> > alternative setups in a non-blocking but informative way. I think we
> > can extend our use of CI machinery so that it simplifies the
> > development process for everyone, removing redundant heads-ups but
> > increasing the targeted collaboration in places where it is actually
> > needed.

> [...]

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
RHEL Product Management & Community Architect
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexel...@redhat.com