On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:27:36AM -0800, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> > One potential output of this change would be to have editions choose
> > what buildroot they are based on.  As an example, Fedora Server, which
> > has struggled to find its element, could actually be built in ways
> > more conducive to server use cases: different compiler flags, kernel
> > parameters, baselines, etc.
>
> Possibly, but also splitting things means they have less people using
> them, and also there may be less compromise to come up with something
> everyone can share.

This may be true, but if the number of people grows as a result, that
might be worth it.  No need to decide right nwo of course.  Part of
what is good about Aleksandra's proposal is that it's incremental-
each step along the way has a specific benefit.  The long term
potential for this is exciting, but the short and medium term benefits
seem good too.  Change can happen a little at a time then be measured
and adjusted as needed.

> But I'm perfectly happy to give this a try and see where it leads us. :)

Cool :-)

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.