Hello,

Thanks everyone for posting feedback.
More benchmarking results are available at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Changes/OptimizeSquashFS, including
the 'plain' SquashFS filesystem.
After performing the tests, I personally recommend to use xz compression
with 1MiB block size, without bcj, on a 'plain' squash filesystem -- this
will lead to a reduction of 142MiB on the ISO, compared to the stock Fedora
31 Workstation x86_64 image.
Alternative compression options, such as Zstd, are also mentioned in the
change proposal.

Select re-packaged ISOs of Fedora 31 Workstation x86-64 is available for
download at https://khomutsky.com/fedora-dvd/

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 5:34 PM Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 5:46 PM Bohdan Khomutskyi <bkhom...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I posted more benchmark results in this article:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Changes/OptimizeSquashFS
>>
>> In short, bigger block size and higher compression ratio does not
>> increase the installation time for Fedora Workstation.  I saw the
>> opposite effect.
>> The Zstd compression performed worse than XZ in the compression test. On
>> the other hand, 40% lower installation time for Zstd, was documented. Along
>> with the CPU consumption 37% lower.
>> All installation tests were performed from and to local NVMe storage.
>> Which I consider far from real life scenario.
>>

> This is very interesting, thank you!
>
> The "CPU user time" should be independent on the number of CPU cores you
> have, is that correct? I.e. the number should be always roughly the same,
> whether you run it on 1 core, 2 cores or 8 cores, right? I'm asking because
> our QA tests often use 1-2 cores for installation, and I assume you used
> all your available cores (if I read it correctly, you seem to have a 4 core
> system), therefore the "real time" value is applicable just to your system,
> but the "cpu user time" should be better comparable to other systems.
>
> How exactly did you measure those numbers, can you please provide
> reproduction steps?
>
> I'm quite surprised that plain squashfs is a bit smaller, but also a bit
> slower than squashfs+ext4. Our expectations were that it would be faster.
>
> Looking at compressions, the most interesting results for me are:
> -comp xz, without -Xbcj x86 --- cutting CPU time by 50% at the expense of
> 30MB is awesome
> -Xdict-size 1M -b 1M, without -Xbcj x86 (optionally with hardlinking) ---
> 33% speedup while also saving 110 MB
> -comp zstd -Xcompression 15 -b 1M --- blazing fast installation with
> cutting CPU time by 80%, but also increasing the size by 150 MB
>
> I'm sure different people will have different priorities regarding size
> and installation time, but these are really interesting numbers, thanks for
> benchmarking.

Bohdan Khomutskyi, RHCE
Release configuration management engineer, PnT DevOps
Red Hat Czech s.r.o
T: +420532270289     IRC: bkhomuts