On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM Bohdan Khomutskyi <bkhom...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks everyone for posting feedback.
> More benchmarking results are available at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Changes/OptimizeSquashFS,
> including the 'plain' SquashFS filesystem.
> After performing the tests, I personally recommend to use xz compression
> with 1MiB block size, without bcj, on a 'plain' squash filesystem -- this
> will lead to a reduction of 142MiB on the ISO, compared to the stock Fedora
> 31 Workstation x86_64 image.
> Alternative compression options, such as Zstd, are also mentioned in the
> change proposal.

Hmm, and I see I've been completely confused in my last reply, and I
considered the numbers in the first image [1] to be installation times.
Instead they are image creation times. OK. Looking at the new second image
[2], Zstd seems like a clear winner to me at least for QA purposes. With
fine tuning the compression level, we can achieve almost the same file size
for a great installation speedup.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Compression_vs_SquashFS_creation_time.png
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Compression_vs_installation_time.png