On 1/25/20 7:30 PM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
Hello Ty,

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 1:42 AM Ty Young <youngty1...@gmail.com> wrote:
The unfortunate reality is that none of what you describe will likely
change in any significant way, at least not with the standard Linux
distros(Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch) etc. Too much of Linux is ideology
based(GNU, among other political ideologies) instead of just making the
best software/platform possible, which pushes away people who would like
to contribute and use Linux software. There is little, if any,
compromises by those who believe in these ideologies. They are willing
to stand by their beliefs until the very end.
How you conduct yourself in your everyday life, whether you realize it
or not, not only reflects your political beliefs, it is in itself
politics. Someone volunteering a portion of their finite time to a
project that benefits many, but does not result in direct compensation
for them, is a deeply political act. Without ideologists willing to
fight for their beliefs and stand their ground, we'd all be worshiping
god-kings, who'd hold an absolute power over the life or death of
their subjects. In a much narrower scope, over the last thirty years
or so, had there not been ideologists promoting and defending the
precious idea of Free Software, we'd all be doomed to run windows and
browse a Microsoft-defined web using internet explorer.

This is an assumption being masqueraded as a fact. Firefox is open source and uses DRM(For better or for worse). There are more colors than black and white.

There are also ways for Open Source developers to be compensated for their work. Elementary has a donate button IIRC in their package manager. Some developers also use Patron or Librepay(I think it's called?). Fedora doesn't offer users the option via Gnome Software.

Of course there is a difference between donations and paying for software, but if you're complaining about developers not being "thanked" then Fedora is in part responsible for that. You choose not to have the option right front and center.

Your own post, is indeed political and it is quite telling. I do not
know what your particular beef with GNOME is and frankly I don't care.
Bill here had one of the healthiest reactions to the situation he was
facing. He actually offered to do something about it, instead of
whining. That should serve as an example.

The desire to help was expressed and what was it. Not downplaying the importance of it per se but rather putting it into perspective. Fedora in particular utilizes a lot of in-house tools and systems. Many of those seem to have some kind of issue or another that frustrates even long time packagers and developers. The Java SIG all quit in part IIRC because packaging Java stuff was too hard in Fedora.

And lets not even get into the modular mess. I've been subscribed to this list long enough to know how much everyone "loves" modules.

It's best not to bring up any such issues, especially in Fedora/Gnome
home turf. They have "Code of Conduct" nukes that are used to silence
any discussion they don't agree with. Just take a look at the Gnome
subreddit, wherein the moderators have been caught and continue to issue
thread/comment locks and temp bans for (nicely) pointing out bugs in
Gnome. It's scary stuff, and is only getting worse with Gnome's Code of
Conduct allowing racism. They will deny it endlessly that this is the
intent but have publicly fought against revising it to clear up the
intent after public outcry.
The Code of Conduct is decided by people participating in the project.
Among its objectives, is to protect those doing actual and often
thankless work from the demoralizing abuse of ungrateful and entitled
egoists, hiding behind a computer screen and a handle.

Ah, allowing racism is to somehow protect developers and the majority of Gnome is OK with it. Got it.

  The Code of
Conduct is not set in stone and those participating in the project may
at any time choose to alter it. Participation is the operative word
here and under no circumstance does griping count as participation.
Neal already covered the other points I wanted to make.

TL;DR: Only the opinions of those that are part of the clubhouse matter.

(Sadly the only way to be apart of the clubhouse is by agreeing with the existing clubhouse members. Darn.)