On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> Neal Gompa wrote:
> > 14:00 UTC is 9:00 EST, so it basically means to everyone: do
> > everything the day before.
>
> "Do everything the day before" is exactly what was confusing about the 00:00
> UTC deadline, so I do not see how the change to 14:00 UTC fixes the issue.
> It is customary to give inclusive deadlines, i.e., a deadline of day X means
> I have up to AND INCLUDING day X to do the work.
>
> I do not see why the deadlines were not changed to 23:59 UTC deadlines
> instead, which would also not have meant any actual change in process
> (unlike this 14:00 UTC change), just a change of how the deadlines are
> announced (subtract 1 day from all the posted deadlines).

The folks that actually are doing this work are also based on US
Eastern Time, specifically out in the Boston, MA area. It is much
easier for them to pull this off by saying "welp, it's the start of
the day for me and this is the day we push the button, so let's push
it!". Previously they had to do it technically *after* the end of *the
previous day* their time, which made things confusing.