On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 5:32 AM Bohdan Khomutskyi <bkhom...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It was a long time since the last message in this change proposal.
>
> Recently I was working to reduce the impact of the increased compression
> ratio on the installation image size for Fedora. I have achieved outstanding
> results -- working proof of concept. With the following change:
> https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/2292 , not only the higher
> compression does not impact the installation time. In certain cases, the
> installation time is even reduced. This is because of the fact the filesystem
> internal structure aware process is used to install the system from the
> SquashFS. The new process also allows for taking advantage of the multi-core
> architecture of the system during installation -- does the decompression on
> multiple processors in parallel.
>
> The combination of https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/2292 and
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Changes/OptimizeSquashFS should
> reduce _both_ the image size and the installation time. The installation time
> will be reduced in case the system is installed from the SquashFS. This is
> the case in Fedora Workstation.
>
> For optimization of the SquashFS, I will work on requesting the support of
> the required functionality in the Pungi compose build software.

Hi, since the feedback was that a higher emphasis be placed on install
time being reduced, even if there was some increase in ISO size (not
without limit, it's a balancing act), I'm still curious how the change
compares when using zstd, all other things being equal.

For example Solus recently changed from xz to zstd in squashfs, and
claim 3-4x faster install times, with some increase in image size.
https://getsol.us/2020/01/25/solus-4-1-released/

--
Chris Murphy