On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps, but they are still too cumbersome for the average packager.
> So I would have to create a module for Python 3.7, python-pyside2, and
> freecad, correct?

Maybe Fedora needs parallel installable "python" and "python-next" stacks?

Primary goal is that everything works on the "python" ("current")
stack, which powers DNF, etc.

Secondary goal is to get "everything" working on python-next.

Once "almost everything" works on python-next it gets promoted to
current python for the next release.

This description is obviously oversimplified, "almost everything"
would be a criteria with some critical packages/functionality being a
must, and some % of "leaf" packages broken being acceptable at
promotion time.

It also doesn't solve _every_ problem -- when various dependencies'
versions can combine in multiple ways, where some work some don't,
there's not much a distro can do without getting into boiling oceans.
OTOH, it does give you a target -- try to make _this_ set work.

Tooling might be needed to streamline the "promotion" process.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions  ~  http://linkedin.com/in/martinlanghoff
 - don't be distracted        ~  http://github.com/martin-langhoff