Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 19. 05. 20 v 14:03 Richard Shaw napsal(a):
>> Because Qt 5.13.x / PySide2 5.13.x is NOT compatible with Python 3.8. But
>> instead of asking ourselves, "should we push in the VERY latest Python
>> and hope it's ok?", we just patch the build system to accept it anyway
>> and hope for the best.
>>
>> Qt (et all) is a pretty organized upstream, so when asked about Python
>> 3.8 support in 5.13.x, they said, "Nope. Wait for 5.14.x."
>>

> BTW this is scholar example of use-case for Modularity.

No, this is actually exactly the scholar example of NON-use-case for
Modularity.

As others have already explained, you just cannot replace Python with an
older version from a module. That will break the entire distribution. Even
DNF will stop working, unless you rebuild that too. But rebuilding all the
Python packages in Fedora against the old version just does not scale.

This is the scholar example of use-case for parallel-installable
compatibility packages (python3.7 and a python3.7-* for each dependency of
FreeCAD, while all the other python3-* do not have to be touched at all).

        Kevin Kofler