On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:13 AM Panu Matilainen <pmati...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, it's a guess.
>
> Just tested the particular case of boost-devel install with plain rpm on
> all of sqlite, bdb and ndb, and of the three, bdb is the slowest one.
> The tested, expected behavior of sqlite is as fast or faster than bdb,
> but of course it's *possible* previously unknown worst-case behaviors
> exist.
>
> Lets start with the basics:
> - is sqlite even involved - it will only be used on rawhide builds if
> mock bootstrap is used
> - does it make a difference if you override _db_backend to bdb/sqlite
> from mock config / cli define
> - a reproducer please (eg, what package is considerably slower to build
> than before, and by how much)

boost-devel, nosync=True, bootstrap=False
real 0m6.083s
user 0m4.232s
sys 0m1.155s

real 0m6.134s
user 0m4.356s
sys 0m1.115s
---

boost-devel, nosync=True, bootstrap=True
real 0m7.464s
user 0m4.849s
sys 0m1.364s

I think this one was only slower because it converted the database? I saw a
bunch of messages about looking for sqlite but finding bdb database.

real 0m7.234s
user 0m4.984s
sys 0m1.321s

Nope, about the same on a second run.
---

boost-devel, nosync=False, bootstrap=False
real 0m7.017s
user 0m4.388s
sys 0m1.144s
---

boost-devel, nosync=False, bootstrap=True
real 1m13.294s
user 0m6.723s
sys 0m2.761s
---

So it looks like boostrap=True and nosync=False is the culprit, which I
inadvertantly got myself into. I did have either set and of course nosync
would be False by default and it looks like bootstrap=True by default for
rawhide.

I guess the next question is, why is that an order of magnitude worse of a
combination?

Thanks,
Richard