* Jeff Law:

> I'm not suggesting switching the default.  I'm suggesting the compiler
> choice be made by the upstream projects.  Some prefer LLVM, others
> prefer GCC.  Fedora should get out of the way and use the same tools
> that the upstream projects are using.

Do we know how many upstream projects actually recommend building with a
recent Clang upstream release?  Chromium explicitly does not:

| Chromium ships a prebuilt clang binary. It's just upstream clang built
| at a known-good revision that we bump every two weeks or so.
|
| This is the only supported compiler for building Chromium.

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/clang.md>

Currently, it's this build:

$ ./src/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++ --version
clang version 11.0.0 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/
a6ae333a0c23fc9b0783ca45e2676abac00c6723)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir:
/home/test/chromium/./src/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin

So something pulled recently from the development branch, not a release
branch.

In my experience, this is pretty typical: Upstreams leaning towards
Clang expect that you use their prebuilt compiler, not a system
compiler.

Using Clang downstream may make things simpler for packagers, but a
system-supplied Clang compiler is rarely a preferred upstream choice
(not even on Macos, where there is no real choice anymore).

On the other hand, there is demand from users (not just packagers) for
the LLVM-based toolchain, and increased use by Fedora packagers will
help us to improve the quality of Fedora's version of it.  Fortunately,
for this effect, it does not matter *why* Fedora packagers choose Clang.

Thanks,
Florian