Am 21.05.20 um 10:52 schrieb Ankur Sinha:
> The packaging team is generally quite stretched, and we frankly need
> more people helping us out.

Agreed.

There might be another simple thing how we could get new contributors: I
noticed that sometimes users asked in bugzilla/on a mailing list if they could
help in maintaining some (more or less orphaned/unmaintained) package. IIRC
they never got an answer (as nobody reads bugzilla comments for unmaintained
packages). Also there was a similar post on epel-devel.

I think we have a pretty big hole in the process here - it is too easy for
interested people to "fall through the cracks". Also requiring them to review
some unrelated packages to demonstrate their knowlegde is a pretty big hurdle.

Last year there was a user who submitted a review request (which was approved)
but did not find a sponsor because reviewing more packages (without some
guidance to ensure the efforts won't go unnoticed) seemed to be too time
consuming. Instead he chose to spend more time in upstream development.

I noticed that he seemed to be aware of the most important things about
packaging in Fedora and was able to connect him with a sponsor (and vouched
for him by ensuring that sponsor I would be co-maintaining the new package so
I could fix any fallout).

Long story short: He got sponsored soon after and maintains the application in
Fedora since then pretty successfully. I tried to act as primary point of
contact for any questions and help solving some minor issues.

=> Maybe we could also scale-out if regular packagers could "mentor" (not
sponsor) new packagers. To do so it would be helpful to me which sponsors have
free cycles to take new packagers.

Felix