On 6/26/20 11:04 AM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:42:25AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
For laptop and workstation installs of Fedora, we want to provide file
system features to users in a transparent fashion. We want to add new
features, while reducing the amount of expertise needed to deal with
situations like [https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/152
running out of disk space.] Btrfs is well adapted to this role by
design philosophy, let's make it the default.

So... can btrfs now be trusted to not crap itself?

The change is based on the installer's custom partitioning Btrfs
preset. It's been well tested for 7 years.

What does "Well tested" mean, in this context?  Do we have data that
shows roughly how many installs were done in Fedora-land, and how long
they lasted?

Not Fedora land, but Facebook installs it on all of our root devices, so millions of machines. We've done this for 5 years. It's worked out very well. Thanks,

Josef