On 27 June 2020 17:55:09 CEST, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 3:12 AM Markus Larsson <qrsb...@uidzero.se> wrote:
>
>> There's a difference between "can" and "should". I find this "<other guy>
>> can do this are you less of a man than <other guy>" tiresome.
>
>Yes, I also find it tiresome when people make grandiose claims of
>having facts on their side, and yet provide none, but inject hyperbole
>into the conversation instead.
>
>> When SLES made the switch they did only recommend it for system data not
>> production data because it kept breaking and data loss is painful.
>> That was still the case 3 years ago, if they have reconsidered it has been
>> done later than that.
>> It's very clear from both the openSUSE and the Arch community that btrfs has
>> higher failure rates than ext4 and the rate of catastrophic failure is
>> non-negligible.
>
>Excellent! Provide the data. I'm looking forward to seeing this very
>clear data. You can provide it, today?

The actual data I will never ever be able to share. I have ended my time at
that particular company but even when I was there I was not permitted to share
such data. Or did you mean data from openSUSE and Arch?
Just have a look at their bug trackers.
You can dismiss it as anecdotal, that's fine. You could also try to see why
someone would get the view that I hold.
I have no problem with Fedora supporting btrfs, I have a problem with having it
as the default option.
This is because my experience tells me that it isn't ready yet. Josef has a
different view and that's good, even fine tbh. Disagreement is good, that's how
mistakes are avoided.

That said, arguing doesn't do much good now, the decision looks like it has
already been made.