On 26 June 2020 21:32:31 CEST, Igor Raits <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

>> Josef's server parks is a bit of a different use case than laptops as
>> other people has already pointed out.
>> If you want data on how it works in a desktop/laptop scenario talk to
>> openSUSE users about how many times the "btrfs randomly ate my
>> volume"-bug was "fixed".
>>
>> When I ran an environment of about 4500 SLES and about 5000 RHEL
>> servers btrfs failed about 3 times as often as xfs (this from our own
>> in-house statistics). That was 3 years ago but filesystems takes long
>> to mature and I have been keeping ear near openSUSE to see where it
>> goes.
>> Is this as big as Josef's environment? No but it is first hand data
>> to me (to you it is of course just anecdotal evidence)
>
>Keep in mind that SLES does backport btrfs patches because they support
>it. RHEL does not. And we are talking about Fedora here anyway.

We didn't use BTRFS on any RHEL machines only on the SLES ones.

>> BTRFS has the potential to become great, I just think it isn't there
>> yet and it'll take 5 years of smooth sailing to convince me.
>
>Probably you should try it with Fedora's kernel?

Oh I will, when BTRFS has had smooth sailing for 5 years. I have no problem
with others running btrfs, I just think it should be the default since we seem
to be all about not creating problems for new users. That's at least what the
recent changes tell me :)