On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 05:49:03PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > For what it's worth, this is really needed, and overdue.  I have
> > repeatedly failed Fedora OS release upgrades on different machines by
> > running out of root fs space. I think the default / is around 50GB, and
> > it's too easy to fill: during OS update we need space for three copies
> > of each package: the old version, the downloaded new version, and the
> > space to install the new version.
>
> 75G on new installs today but yes there are many folks still with a
> 50G root volume at /
>
> And changing this to 80+G is sorta 'kick the can' but also as it turns
> out it doesn't really fix the problem that well and puts pressure on
> /home in cases where the laptop drive is kinda small. There are other
> valid ways to solve this single problem, e.g. a single plain ext4 or
> xfs volume. But both of those leave things on the table users benefit
> from.

  We cannot do anything for existing installs. It is up to owner to
juggle partitions.
  Also, with btrfs proposal we do not have to decide how to split space
between / and /home.  Boths are just a subvolumes and share all the
space.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
to...@pipebreaker.pl                                               72->|   80->|