On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:30 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Gerald B. Cox <gb...@bzb.us> wrote:
>
> > Why would we be installing something by default that has widely known
> broken functionality?
>
> Because the default configuration we're using isn't broken and is
> better than the alternatives being evaluated.

That raises the question of why RHEL deprecated BTRFS and why Fedora now
apparently believes that BTRFS is better than XFS?

> >  I would think it would be more appropriate to have people who
> specifically want to use BTRFS functionality and are aware and
> knowledgeable of the risks to seek it out rather than have it be some sort
> of selective default.  The target audience you're aiming at by making it
> the default doesn't know FAT from NTFS from EXT4 from XFS from BTRFS or do
> they care.   Neither are they aware or even care about purported benefits.
>
> And they're going to get into trouble with raid56 how? Are you going
> to tell them they should convert to raid56? How is it even relevant?

That's not what I said ... in fact, no where in the paragraph did I mention
raid56.  Re-read what I wrote.

> Literally none of this is correct.

Then BTRFS needs to clarify/correct their documentation.

> > Ok, then why aren't we working on that?
>
> I don't know. Why aren't you working on that? By all means put
> together a competing proposal.
>
> I'm working on what I'm working on.

<Sigh> That's an obvious dodge, Chris.  Stratis and XFS are Redhat
projects.  Many times Fedora demos technologies for RHEL.