On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 4:16 PM Gerald B. Cox <gb...@bzb.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:30 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Gerald B. Cox <gb...@bzb.us> wrote:
>>
>> > Why would we be installing something by default that has widely known
>> > broken functionality?
>>
>> Because the default configuration we're using isn't broken and is
>> better than the alternatives being evaluated.
>

> That raises the question of why RHEL deprecated BTRFS and why Fedora now
> apparently believes that BTRFS is better than XFS?

I have no knowledge of Red Hat past, present or future decisions. I'm
speaking as one of the proposals' owners. The proposal attempts to
provide persuasive reasoning why Btrfs solves certain problems on the
desktop better than alternatives. If you don't think it's persuasive,
that's fine. And if Fedora disagrees, it's not going to become the
default.

But if you can state clearly why it isn't persuasive in a way anyone
could possibly answer, I'm sure someone will try. And it would help
improve the proposal.

>> >  I would think it would be more appropriate to have people who
>> > specifically want to use BTRFS functionality and are aware and
>> > knowledgeable of the risks to seek it out rather than have it be some sort
>> > of selective default.  The target audience you're aiming at by making it
>> > the default doesn't know FAT from NTFS from EXT4 from XFS from BTRFS or do
>> > they care.   Neither are they aware or even care about purported benefits.
>>
>> And they're going to get into trouble with raid56 how? Are you going
>> to tell them they should convert to raid56? How is it even relevant?
>

> That's not what I said ... in fact, no where in the paragraph did I mention
> raid56.  Re-read what I wrote.

It doesn't make much sense without the prior context of raid56 that
you started out with.

I don't think most folks care beyond wanting it to be reliable, and it
is. And they like the idea of being warned if their data has been
corrupted, and it does. And like the idea of saving space and wear and
tear due to less writes, and it does that too, through transparent
compression. Why do they need to be aware of extraneous, esoteric
details? They can still benefit from some things. And people who care
about more things can go explore more.

>> I'm working on what I'm working on.
>
> <Sigh> That's an obvious dodge, Chris.  Stratis and XFS are Redhat projects.
> Many times Fedora demos technologies for RHEL.

I have literally nothing to do with Red Hat at all whatsoever. I don't
consider my contributions in Fedora as having anything to do with Red
Hat.

--
Chris Murphy