On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 13:34 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Given Hans proposal [1] introduced systemd/grub2/Gnome upstream
> changes
> it beg the question if now would not be the time to stop supporting
> booting in legacy bios mode and move to uefi only supported boot
> which
> has been available on any common intel based x86 platform since
> atleast
> 2005.
>
> Now in 2017 Intel's technical marketing engineer Brian Richardson
> revealed in a presentation that the company will require UEFI Class 3
> and above as in it would remove legacy BIOS support from its client
> and
> datacenter platforms by 2020 and one might expect AMD to follow Intel
> in
> this regard.
>
> So Intel platforms produced this year presumably will be unable
> to run
> 32-bit operating systems, unable to use related software (at least
> natively), and unable to use older hardware, such as RAID HBAs (and
> therefore older hard drives that are connected to those HBAs),
> network
> cards, and even graphics cards that lack UEFI-compatible vBIOS
> (launched
> before 2012 – 2013) etc.
>
> This post is just to gather feed back why Fedora should still
> continue
> to support legacy BIOS boot as opposed to stop supporting it and
> potentially drop grub2 and use sd-boot instead.
>
> Share your thoughts and comments on how such move might affect you so
> feedback can be collected for the future on why such a change might
> be
> bad, how it might affect the distribution and scope of such change
> can
> be determined for potential system wide proposal.

I think there are many people still install OS in the legacy mode, but
I don't really have numbers. One thing we should definitely do if we
deprecate legacy BIOS is to properly warn users that still use this
configuration, develop tooling for them if possible for migration and
do not allow upgrades that will simply break their system.

> Regards
>
>               Jóhann B.
>

> 1.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/CleanupGnomeHiddenBootMenuIntegration