On 30.6.2020 14:18, Tom Hughes via devel wrote:
On 30/06/2020 14:56, Igor Raits wrote:

I think there are many people still install OS in the legacy mode, but
I don't really have numbers. One thing we should definitely do if we
deprecate legacy BIOS is to properly warn users that still use this
configuration, develop tooling for them if possible for migration and
do not allow upgrades that will simply break their system.

Certainly until very recently I have tended to do legacy BIOS installs
even on new machines - it's only really in the last few months that I've
started using UEFI by default instead.

Well I would urge everyone to switch that know and can switch since fwupd can only use the UEFI runtime services to schedule system firmware update when running in UEFI mode.

In legacy BIOS mode it can only do USB type updates of peripherals.

I assume that we're only talking about new installs here anyway.

Right

I'm
pretty sure switching an existing install would be something for
advanced users only and might not really be possible in many cases
due to the need to fine space for an EFI system partition.

Yeps

jBG