On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 08:52:12AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> So you want to discuss Linux desktop deployments, excluding the only
> sucessful mass Linux desktop deployment to date? Why?

Because the raw data I had access to excludes chromebooks, only listing
"traditional" PCs and servers.  They lumped chromebooks in with tablets
and other such things, and I'm not going to spend several thousand
dollars to buy market reports just for a stupid thread on fedora-devel.

Additionally, all chromebooks boot with u-boot on top of a UEFI/GPT disk
layout.  The x86 ones supposedly use coreboot to load u-boot:

  https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/disk-format

Needless to say, this actually *helps* my argument, as including
ChromeOS systems into those numbers will further decrease the overall
BIOS-capable (and thus, BIOS-only) market share.

> Also your data conflates systems sold in XXXX with systems in use in
> XXXX.

No, it does not; these commercial market report previews I used cover
revenue and units shipped in 2019, not total install base.  (those are
also available, but I'm not going to fork over several thousand dollars
over a stupid fedora-devel thread)

That said, I did deliberately conflate the two in one place -- I used
the "2%" linux desktop install base as a proxy for "market share", but
acknowledged that, and assigned those numbers to the "BIOS" side.

If someone has numbers that show the actual install base of in-use
BIOS-boot and BIOS-only systems, I'd love to see them.  And I'll gladly
donate the contents of my wallet to the EFF if the BIOS numbers are
still growing in absolute terms -- ie new systems being deployed faster
than old ones are retired.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)