Hello, Faye.

On Saturday, 04 July 2020 at 00:42, Faye C. wrote:
[...]
> Because of the way Windows 10 is, UEFI is the only thing that is
> accepted (no Legacy Boot). If I try any other OS on UEFI my laptop
> can't find the disc image. It somehow seems to be designed only for
> Windows 10. Legacy Boot is the only way that I can run a different OS.
> Despite factory reseting it and doing a clean install of Windows 7, I
> still can't use UEFI at all. My laptop isn't that old either, (about a
> year and a half) in fact it was really hard to get my intel drivers
> working since Intel doesn't support downgrading with newer hardware
> that's designed for Windows 10 from what I can see. I'm new to Linux
> and have only recently gotten used to Fedora, but if it goes to where
> only UEFI is supported I will have to unfortunately go elsewhere.

That sadly happens when vendors modify the reference UEFI firmware to
support booting Windows only. For example, one of my machines has
"Windows Boot Manager" hard-coded as the only boot entry it can boot,
so I was able to boot Fedora with UEFI and SecureBoot enabled only by
renaming the Fedora boot entry to "Windows Boot Manager". :)

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org