On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > You are not supposed to use %__cmake_builddir.
>
> It is not documented, and eventually will be removed. So don't rely on
> it. If you want to change the build directory, set %_vpath_builddir
> instead.

Well, just make it documented ?

Otherwise I probably would literally copy it to all of my SPECfiles ... .
And from other replies I see I most likely won't be the only one who
needs *exactly* behaviour of that macro. (To find out what the
builddir path is; without need of changing it)
It only makes sense to provide it in some central place - like among
cmake macros - to avoid a lot of code duplication.

The only other solution I see for now would be to change the builddir
to some other location and use that around the SPECfile.
But ... why? The re-defining of the location from a standard (for
Fedora CMake SPECs) location neither does bring any benefit, nor do we
actually want to do it.

The solution is already in-place. And already we know we will want to
use this macro (To find out what the builddir path is) in the future.
If documenting it and making it "stable" is the only thing needed, I
see it as a max. 5 minute work to save *a lots* of 5-minute work from
others. (For each one per each SPECfile)

Maybe there are some real issues behind the macro which makes it hard
to standardize.
I'd like if you share them in that case, so we might come up with a
better solution together, on this list.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer