> If you actually tried to use the memory it says in MemAvailable, you
> may very well already get bad side effects as the kernel needs to
> reclaim memory used for other purposes (file caches, mmap'ed
> executables, heap, …). Depending on the workload, this may already
> cause the system to start thrashing.

memavaild[1] is yet another tool to improve responsiveness during heavy
swapping. How it works: slices are swapped out when MemAvailable is low by
reducing memory.max (values change dynamically). Effects: performance increases
in tasks that requires heavy swapping, especially in io-bound tasks. At the
same time, tasks are performed at less io and memory pressure. It may be used
out of the box with any DE.

With combination of prelockd and memavaild GUI remains responsive with high
memory and io pressure (pressure=85[2] with system and swap on HDD, I taked
screenshot, GUI was not freezed). This proves that high memory pressure (by
PSI) does not always correspond to system hang (psi-monitor uses mem
pressure=10 as a thigger, for example).

[1] https://github.com/hakavlad/memavaild
[2] https://ibb.co/hKGy0bZ