On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:11 am, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:
Florian just linked to that same chromium.org page as evidence that Chrome is not ignoring system DNS. :) Indeed, if you read the page, they're only using DNS over HTTPS (DoH) if system DNS matches a hardcoded list of providers that support DoH.

Hm, I guess your point remains though, because if Chrome does decide to do its own DNS after it sees that your default DNS matches one of the whitelisted providers, then of course trying to resolve hostnames that need to be resolved by a different DNS is going to fail. E.g. if your corporate VPN is configured to be used only for resources on its network, I imagine it would fail.

Anyway, nothing we can do about that at the system level, other than promote secure system DNS so applications don't have to do it themselves with these hacks. I'll start typing up a change proposal to enable DNS over TLS.

Michael