On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 7:51 pm, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
Btw, Russian Federation is going to completely block DoT and DoH.
Forcing these technologies to end users will disrupt Internet access for
people from such countries.

We can't require it, because most ISPs don't offer it, and Windows and macOS don't require it. If other platforms decide to require it, then we could do so as well and maybe Russia's evil plan will hopefully be subverted? But in the real world, we can't require it. So instead we'll do it opportunistic: try DoT if available, and fall back to plaintext if not. This provides no protection against an active network attacker, but it does protect against passive attackers. And if you want, you can change a line in resolved.conf to make it mandatory. (You can try this today in F33.)